The Car Ride
JADE
This sucks.
SOPHIE
You know this is your fault Jay, You let yourself get like this.
JADE
No I don’t, I just am so upset all he does is cancels our plans.
SOPHIE
If I’ve told you once I’ve told you a million times he doesn’t like you like you like him.
JADE
I don’t care what you think, I love him and between me and you… I think he is the one.
SOPHIE
That is crap, I’m sick of you always talking about him anyways. [pause] One day your going to realize all the stuff he does to you behind your back and-
JADE
And nothing because he doesn’t do that. He is just busy tonight…again.. [sigh]
[Awkward silence while driving down the freeway]
JADE
That creep behind us has been following us the whole way and is driving right on my bumper.. My god, people these days do not know how to drive.
SOPHIE
Tap your breaks a little, scare him.
JADE
[taps break while laughing]
Ha, that should teach him.
SOPHIE
He looks pissed.. Jade I think your phone is vibrating
JADE
[grabbing her phone out of her purse while trying to stay concentrated on the road]
John, Hey!….[listening] Mhm… Well I can call you later or something if my plans change, I got to go bye.
SOPHIE
Jade!
JADE
What?
SOPHIE
Your so mean to him, he is one of the nicest guys out there, not to mention Peaks Town most allegeable bachelor.. I don’t understand you.
JADE
You know what Sophie, [pauses and talks quieter] I don’t understand myself either.
Car screeches and swerves off the road.
JADE
[panicking]
Oh my God! What do I do!
SOPHIE
Breaks! Stop! Just pull over now.
JADE
[Pulls car over and car is completely stopped]
That creeper behind us is stopping too. Lock the door, now.
[man approaches the girls window on the driver seat side.]
Maybe he can help us?
SOPHIE
Yeah.. Or kill us? [says sarcastically but scared]
JADE
[rolls down window]
Hi. Were fine. Thank you. [not making eye contact]
FRANK
You don’t look fine.. You look like two girls who need help changing a flat tire.
SOPHIE
Sure, we do.
JADE
Sophie! [nudges her shoulder] What are you getting us into!?
SOPHIE
Do I look like I change tires? Psh, no.. So he can.
FRANK
I’m Frank.. Sorry about my driving so close, I’m just so use to driving fast because I use to be in NASCAR racing and going on freeways its hard not to go fast. Here let me get your spare and I’ll get started changing your tire, and you’ll be out of here in no time!
JADE
Um.. Thank you, Frank.
FRANK
Anytime. You girls wait in the car, it is too cold for you to be out here.
[JADE gets in the car and slams the door. Realizes phone is vibrating, again]
SOPHIE
Ignore it. Your not talking to Derek this time.
JADE
What do you think he needs or wants?
SOPHIE
He probably wants to tell you he is cheating on you with 5 different girls is my guess.
[awkward silence, Frank approaches car]
FRANK
Well I’m all done girls, Your lucky to know how good I am with my hands, that was a record timing for changing a tire.
JADE
Thank you, How can we repay you?
FRANK
Well my car has been acting very rough and weird when I drive it. And I don’t want to risk driving it, would you mind giving me a ride home? I just live right off this exit up here.
SOPHIE
Sure, Jade would love to, we would love to!
JADE
[whispering] What are you doing Sophie, we don’t even know this man?
SOPHIE
[whispering back] He’s famous, he’s hot, give him a ride. Trust me.
JADE
Sure… I can give you a ride. [sounding confused]
FRANK
Thanks a lot, let me grab my stuff from my car.
JADE
I hope you know what your doing.
FRANK
Ok.. Thanks a lot girls. [slams the door and buckles up]
[JADE starts ignition multiple times while car does still not start]
JADE
Well isn’t this lovely. Let me call my parents or something.
[dials number on cell phone]
Great.. No answer… I’ll call Derek.
SOPHIE
Great.. just what we need a stupid cheating liar to pick us up.
JADE
Oh Sophie.. Stop.
[dials number on cell phone, again and puts on speaker]
Hi Derek, hi.
DEREK
Hi hun, whats up? Why are you calling I thought I told you I would call you later tonight after I wasn’t hanging with the guys.
SOPHIE
[turns around to Frank] Psh.. The guys, yeah right.
JADE
Well I wasn’t going to call sugar bee, but I need help. I got a flat tire and some man helped us change it, and then when I tried to start the car it won’t start so now were stuck here sitting on the side of the freeway.
DEREK
Baby, Keep trying to start the car.. You know I would help you but I have been drinking already and I can’t drive now. Look, just try to have you or Sophie try to jump start it with someone else’s car I’m sure it will all work out. I got to go. I’ll call you after. Bye.
SOPHIE
And you call him the one? Jade, something is the matter with you.
JADE
You know what? I’ll call John. [dials numbers on phone]
Hi John, Its Jade. Look we need some help.. My car won’t start I’m on freeway 10...[pause].. Thank you! See you soon.
He’s coming.
FRANK
I’m sorry girls I wish I could have been more help. If you’ll excuse me I just have to get something out of my bag.
[Jade and Sophie look at each other in confusion]
SOPHIE
Why do you have a mask on from like Halloween?
FRANK
So no one can see me.
SOPHIE
See you what?
FRANK
What do you think?
JADE
Oh my God! We-
FRANK
You open the door, I will take my car and run you both over. You move or try to do something that I didn’t say, I will kill. Listen to me.
[Complete silence. All you can hear is breathing from the girls.]
I was not a NASCAR driver. I am a psycho and I hate women. i HATE them.
[JADE shakes in fear]
JADE
What can we do sir for you?
[Knocks on window from outside]
JADE SOPHIE
AHHHH!! AHHHH!!
[Girls turn and realize it is John at the window]
JADE
John! Open up, hurry!
JOHN
What’s going on here?
FRANK
Silence. Another word, I will kill.
JOHN
With what? Your big strong arms [sounds sarcastic] Why don’t you just take off the mask and start acting like a human before I call the police.
FRANK
Look.. All I want is some attention. I thought if I could scare some harmless women I could feel a little better about myself.
JOHN
You’re a sick man dude. That is disturbing, scaring women?
JADE
He did change our flat tire John, He was nice until he just started getting creepy.
FRANK
Look I don’t mean no harm, well kind of I do, but it is just in my blood I guess. I am just dangerous. And I don’t hate women, I love ‘em. I wish I could get a girl for myself, but with my charm the only thing I can get is innocent women clueless about changing tires.
SOPHIE
Look Mr. Frank dude, My mom is a therapist, We can get you help, and hopefully a woman. But you can’t go around scaring innocent people, it is just well it is weird. If you’ll excuse me I got to take it outside. All this stress, I think I got to have a cigarette.
[Goes outside and stands by front of the car and lights up her cigarette]
Honk from horn driving on the freeway and pulls over suddenly in front
Voice from the distance
Whooo, Are you from Tennesse?
SOPHIE
Excuse me? No.
Voice from the distance
Because you’re the only ten I see
SOPHIE
Who are you?
[squinting hard to see the man walking towards her in the dark]
Voice from the distance
I’m Yours, but most people call me Derek.
SOPHIE
Derek! I knew it! Jade, get out here now!
John! Open up, hurry!
JOHN
What’s going on here?
FRANK
Silence. Another word, I will kill.
JOHN
With what? Your big strong arms [sounds sarcastic] Why don’t you just take off the mask and start acting like a human before I call the police.
FRANK
Look.. All I want is some attention. I thought if I could scare some harmless women I could feel a little better about myself.
JOHN
You’re a sick man dude. That is disturbing, scaring women?
JADE
He did change our flat tire John, He was nice until he just started getting creepy.
FRANK
Look I don’t mean no harm, well kind of I do, but it is just in my blood I guess. I am just dangerous. And I don’t hate women, I love ‘em. I wish I could get a girl for myself, but with my charm the only thing I can get is innocent women clueless about changing tires.
SOPHIE
Look Mr. Frank dude, My mom is a therapist, We can get you help, and hopefully a woman. But you can’t go around scaring innocent people, it is just well it is weird. If you’ll excuse me I got to take it outside. All this stress, I think I got to have a cigarette.
[Goes outside and stands by front of the car and lights up her cigarette]
Honk from horn driving on the freeway and pulls over suddenly in front
Voice from the distance
Whooo, Are you from Tennesse?
SOPHIE
Excuse me? No.
Voice from the distance
Because you’re the only ten I see
SOPHIE
Who are you?
[squinting hard to see the man walking towards her in the dark]
Voice from the distance
I’m Yours, but most people call me Derek.
SOPHIE
Derek! I knew it! Jade, get out here now!
JADE gets out of the car and walks toward SOPHIE
JADE
Oh hey Derek. I thought you were drinking? You shouldn’t be driving.
JOHN
Whets up Derek?
SOPHIE
Jade, he just tried hitting on me. He lies about everything. Why don’t you believe me ever, especially on something this important. I wouldn’t just make it up.
JADE
Derek is it true?
DEREK
No baby.. You know it-
[Derek’s phone rings as he looks at it trying to ingore the call.]
JADE
Why don’t I get that…? Derek, phone please.
[Derek hands phone]
Hello?… [pause] …Oh no this is just Derek’s ex-girlfriend.. I’ll tell him your expecting him over now, good bye.
DEREK
Ex-girlfriend?!
JADE
Yes Derek, ex girlfriend. My true friends have been trying to get things through my head I didn’t let get through until tonight, when you weren’t there for me when I needed you. Were done.
[Jade walks away back to the car followed by Sophie and John]
JADE
Frank, Thanks for the biggest scare of my life, and the biggest eye opener also. True friends are hard to find, and sometimes the people who are right for you are right in front of your eyes. I love you Sophie.
SOPHIE
I love you too girl, but who are you talking about.. Right in front of you?
JADE
John.. I think there is someone out there for everyone.. And I haven’t realized until now, but you have always been that someone to me.
JOHN
I thought you would never feel the same way I do Jade. You’re the one girl I’ve always wanted.
[John and Jade Hug]
FRANK
So Sophie, what do you say about there is one person out there for everyone? I think I know mine..
SOPHIE
Um Ew, Okay no. You are seeing my mother this week for help.
FRANK
Hey Sophie?
SOPHIE
Yeah?
FRANK
Will you be my friend?
SOPHIE
Yeah Frank, I will.

No comments:
Post a Comment