Realzing the Truth
JADE
This sucks.
SOPHIE
You know this is your fault Jay, You let yourself get like this.
JADE
No I didn‘t, It’s just I’m so upset all he does is cancels our plans.
SOPHIE
If I’ve told you once I’ve told you a million times he doesn’t like you the way like you like him.
JADE
Yes he does, we are perfect for-
COFFEE WORKER
What can I get you ladies?
SOPHIE
A medium white mocha with a shot of cameral please.
JADE
And I’ll have a small latte.
COFFEE WORKER
Alright, It comes to $8.49.
[JADE reaches in her purse]
SOPHIE
I got it Jade, It’s my treat. [hands cashier money]
JADE
Thanks! I owe you.
COFFEE WORKER
Here you go ladies, [hands drinks] and enjoy!
JADE
Thank you… Let’s go sit down over there.. It is way to cold to even think of going outside right now.
[Both girls sit down on a couch at the coffee place by the warm fire]
SOPHIE
Jade you know I love you, we’ve been best friends since 7th grade, you know I wouldn’t just say stuff about a guy you like for no reason, you know?
JADE
I know.. But I just picture Derek as being so perfect.. Expect for the fact he does cancel plans with me a lot.. But he’s busy with college and I understand that.
SOPHIE
I just wish you could see what I see Jay.. Then you would really understand who he is.
JADE
Or you could see what I see in him… [silent pause] Sick, look at that creeper sitting over there pretending he is reading that newspaper.
SOPHIE
Gross, why do people like that even come out in the day?
JADE
I can ‘t stop staring at him, I’ve never seen someone look so odd.
[CREEPY MAN notices girls are staring and gives a odd dirty look]
JADE
I think he saw me staring. [laughs out loud]
SOPHIE
Jade I think your phone is vibrating.
JADE
[grabbing her phone out of her purse]
John, Hey!….[listening] Yeah… Well I can call you later or something if my plans change, I got to go though, bye.
SOPHIE
Jade!
JADE
What?
SOPHIE
Your so mean to him, he is one of the nicest guys out there on campus, and all you do is be a jerk to him! He is crazy for you and you know it. I don’t understand you sometimes.
JADE
You know what Sophie, [pauses and talks quieter] I don’t understand myself either.
SOPHIE
So why did Derek cancel dinner for your what… your first kiss anniversary or what was it? [laughs]
JADE
Shut up Sophie [pushes SOPHIE a little and giggles] It’s our first date anniversary, actually.
SOPHIE
Psh.. Your pathetic, just kidding.. But seriously. [laughs]
JADE
Oh stop your just jealous… And he said his room mates and all the guys were getting together for poker night and they’ve been planning it for awhile. I’m fine with it.
SOPHIE
Oh yeah I’m sure their just all sitting around playing poker. [sounding sarcastic]
JADE
I’m getting kind of creped out in here that guy keeps looking over here and the snow storm outside looks horrible.
SOPHIE
Yeah, I really don’t want to be stuck in here for the night because we got snowed in here.
JADE
I’ll call Derek to pick us up because there is no way were walking back to our dorms in this.
[Picks up phone and starts dialing]
“Hi Derek! What are you do- [pauses] I’m sorry I didn’t mean to call but I thought you could pick me up from the Coffee shop down the street from your dorm because it is snowing pretty hard… Oh okay, It’s fine. [sounds disappointed] Call me later bye.”
He can’t pick us up because he already started drinking.
SOPHIE
That is some bull right there, all he does is lie. Who starts drinking at 7:30? There is going to be like some huge blizzard outside and Derek doesn’t care that we don’t have a ride home.
JADE
I know, I agree something weird is going on.
SOPHIE
We’ll have to try to find another ride soon. You should call John?
JADE
That’s a good idea.. I should. [picks up phone again and starts dialing]
“Hey! What are you up to? [pauses] Oh.. Your with the guys?.. [pauses] Well I was just wondering Me and Sophie are going to be soon stuck in the Coffee shop if it keeps snowing this hard and we walked here and we kind of were wondering if you could pick us up, but I understand you can’t its okay. [pauses] Your going to what? Leave? No its ok- [pauses] See you soon John, you’re a life savor.”
SOPHIE
He’s coming?
JADE
Yup.
SOPHIE
See jay, not all men are jerks you know.. They actually get out there and do something for someone. Well before John comes I think I’m going to go outside and have my evening cigarette.
JADE
Sophie that is so gross and bad for you. Sick, I will wait in here.
[Sophie goes outside and lights up her cigarette]
VOICE FROM THE DISTANCE
[whistle]
Whooo, Are you from Tennesse?
SOPHIE
Excuse me? No.
VOICE FROM THE DISTANCE
Because you’re the only ten I see
SOPHIE
Who are you?
[squinting hard to see the man in the dark]
VOICE FROM THE DISTANCE
I’m Yours, but most people call me Derek.
SOPHIE
DEREK! I knew it! You are a rat! I thought you were drinking, Why are you out just walking around? [runs inside and grabs Jade and pulls her outside]
Look Jade! Derek right there sitting on that bench. He’s trying to pick up women.
JADE
Derek, why are you here? I thought you were with your guys, and drinking?
DEREK
Oh I am [trying to act drunk]
JADE
Your so faking it, I’m not a moron I know when your faking it which is like 90 percent of the time.
[John appears]
Hi John, Thank you for coming.
JOHN
No problem, Oh hey Derek.
DEREK
Wasss up? [ still trying to act drunk ]
JOHN
Ha ha you should cut that act out Derek, your not drunk, I saw you at the dorm 15 minutes ago and you were by your self, and you weren’t drinking.
[Jade gets a confused look in her face]
SOPHIE
All you are is a liar Derek and you know it.
[Derek’s phone starts ringing. He glances and it and pretends to ignore it.]
JADE
Here Derek, I’ll answer that since your so drunk.
[grabs phone]
Hello?… [pause] …Oh no this is just Derek’s ex-girlfriend.. I’ll tell him your expecting him over, good bye.
DEREK
Ex-girlfriend?!
JADE
Yes Derek, ex girlfriend. My true friends have been trying to get things through my head I didn’t let get through until tonight, when you weren’t there for me when I needed you. Were done.
[walks back in the coffee house, and Sophie and John follow]
SOPHIE
I’m proud of you, I love you. It’s going to be okay. [hugs Jade]
JADE
Thanks guys, you guys are great friends [a tear runs down her face when John catches it]
JOHN
Don’t cry because its over, smile because something new has begun.
JADE
Your right John. [hugs John]
I think that something new that has begun has been standing in front of me for a long time and I’ve been to stupid to realize.
JOHN
I think your right, I’ve been right here.
SOPHIE
Well since you two are happy, lets go to a party tonight and find a man for me!
JOHN
Let’s go!

No comments:
Post a Comment